Wanda Nippers 2019 State Champs Team Info
2019 Surf Life Saving NSW State Championships
Friday 1 - Sunday 3 March 2019
Swansea Belmont SLSC
- Thurs 21 Feb - State team uniform handout, Wanda, 6.00pm
- Thurs 28 Feb - Final training session, Blacksmiths Beach, 4.00pm
- Fri 1 Mar - Competition commences
- Fri 1 Mar - Team dinner, Swansea Hotel, 5.00pm
- Sun 3 Mar - Competition concludes
About the State Champs
The SLSNSW State Championships is the state’s premier surf event, attracting more than 6000 competitors from all over the NSW along with 600 volunteer officials and up to 15,000 family and spectators. An event program will be available closer to the event – the competition is held over three full days. It requires nippers have the Friday off school.
Wanda Nippers at State – who attends?
Each year, Wanda Nippers takes a large squad to the SLSNSW Championships. Nippers who attend must:
- be competition proficient u9-u14 nippers. U14 require their SRC
- have at least one parent volunteering for a duty – water safety, IRB, official, transporting gear, committee or age manager
- be committed and reasonably competitive - the State Championships event is the highest level of competition in NSW. While there is no set qualification standard, nippers attending should be competent in their events.
Events / participation
Individual events at State
- u9-u10 – flags, sprint, swim, board
- u11-u14 – flags, sprint, swim, board, ironperson*
* A limited number of competitors will take part in the ironperson. Competitors will need to qualify at the Branch Championships.
There are a range of team events at State (eg. relays, board rescue, cameron, R&R, March Past, etc). Selection of Wanda nippers teams for these events will be done by the Wanda Nippers selection committee in February 2019. Team entries are limited at State, so not every nipper will get to take part in teams, click here to read the Team Selection policy>>
State cossies and pink vest
While a cossie isn't part of the uniform pack, we request all nippers representing Wanda at the State Championships wear the official Wanda SLSC swimwear. These will be for sale at nippers in the lead up to the carnival.
It is a SLSNSW requirement for all competitors to race in a supplied pink hi-vis vest. Size requests are made through your registration form, with vests to be collected from your Age Manager on Friday 1 March at the State carnival.
Organising the team for the State Championships is a big job. Wanda Nippers will be expected to provide a strict ratio of volunteers to competitors, and it’s only fair this load is shared. Jobs include water safety; IRB crew; officials; transporting club gear to and from Swansea Belmont; age managers and assistants; committee and coaches.
Accommodation and travel
Arrangements need to be made individually by each family. Talk to other families in your age group about where they are staying and get a group together. We encourage you to book ASAP.
At the Championships...
Wanda Nipper Events at Swansea
- Final training session - Thursday 28 February
- Daily board warm ups - details to be confirmed
- u9-u10 Friday and Saturday
- u11+ Friday and Saturday
- Sunday board warm up - details to be confirmed
- Age manager briefing - 6.30am each morning, meet Brooke in front of the Swansea surf club
- Team dinner - Fri 1 March, from 5pm in the Swansea Hotel function room. Pre-orders have now closed, but you are able to order from the bistro on the night.
Competition Day Procedure
- Check program for marshalling times – arrive well beforehand
- Check in with your age manager immediately
- There are specific daily registration procedures for all competitors. Age managers will be briefed
- Be alert for announcements. Stay close to your age manager / area at all times.
- Age managers and assistants will be busy. Please be responsible for your own child.
Gear and Trailer
- Club boards - if you need to borrow a club board, please contact Brett Thatcher firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trailer packing - Wed 27 Feb after training - assistance required
- Accessing gear from the trailer at state. It will be parked near Swansea Belmont SLSC.
- Tents – we will put Wanda tents in each age group area very early Thursday morning (age groups not required to do this).
- Daily tent maintenance/secure - tents stay on the beach, but must be secured at the end of competiton each day
- Tent pull down – once competition is over in your area, tent must be returned to the trailer
- Repacking the trailer (post event) - all age groups must take their own tents and boards back to trailer.
State Championships rules and procedures
State Championships are governed by strict rules and procedures. Nippers, parents and age managers need to listen closely for race marshalling and instructions. If there are issues and/or protests in your child’s event, talk to your age manager who knows the procedure to manage these. Never approach officials direct.
A state team get together will be held on Thurs 21 Feb, 6.00pm at Wanda, for all nippers attending state. This will include:
- State uniform hand out
- State team photo
- Domino's pizza for the nippers in the downstairs clubhouse
Checklist for State
- Nippers cap (and spare)
- Swim caps and goggles
- Marker pens
- Electrical tape
- Board wax
- Wet weather gear and umbrellas
- Spare dry towels
- Pack healthy snacks each day
- Water and/or sports drinks
- Ensure you have Age and Team managers phone details
- Be prepared for weather changes
- Be prepared for board / equipment failure or repairs
- LABEL EVERYTHING
Wanda Nippers Facebook>>
Wanda Nippers Instagram @wandanippers
SLSNSW Instagram @slsnsw
SLSNSW State Champs Team App>>
Chairperson – Fiona Sutton Chairperson@wandanippers.com.au
Team manager - Brooke Thatcher email@example.com