Surf Life Saving Australia sets out a minimum standard of junior skills evaluation (proficiency) and education for all children taking part in nippers. Wanda Nippers has adapted these - see our Junior Skills Evaluation and Education policy.
Wanda Nippers proficiency requirements are:
U6 age group
- From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide and recover to a secure position
- Perform a back or front float holding a buoyant aid and recover to a secure position.
U7 age group
- From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide, kick for 3m and recover to a secure position
- Perform a back or front float for a few seconds and recover to a secure position.
U8 age group
- 25m swim (any stroke) in swimming pool
- 1min float in swimming pool
- No ocean swim required
U9 and U10 age group
- 200m swim (freestyle) in less than 6mins in pool
- 1.5min float in pool
- Untimed 150m ocean swim
U11-U14 age group
- 200m swim (freestyle) in less than 5mins in pool
- 3min float in pool
- Untimed 288m ocean swim
Proficiency is available at registrations days.
- u6 and u7 will be done in the shallow pool at Cronulla Pool Complex.
- u8-u14 pool swim will be done in the 25m pool.
- u9-u14 will complete their surf swim outside on Cronulla Beach. All proficiency will be supervised by water safety personnel.
- swimmers, goggles, towel, cap
- pink high visibility rash vest (ocean swim - compulsory)
- wetsuit (ocean swim - optional)
Some children will feel nervous and unsure about the proficiency swim.
If your child is unable to to complete the requirements:
For U6 and U7 - there will be other opportunities to complete the proficiency once nippers starts.
- If your child does not meet the pool swim requirements, they will not be able to take part in any water activities at Nippers. They may take part in beach activities only for now.
- If your child does not meet the ocean swim requirements (u9+ only), they cannot take part in any water activities at Nippers, aside from the wade, for now.
- There will be other opportunities to complete their proficiency in the first month of nippers.
My child is worried about the ocean proficiency swim. What should I do?
Many children feel nervous about the ocean proficiency swim. Bring your child to the registration day. The ocean proficiency swim is held at South Cronulla Beach. There are plenty of other kids doing the swim, as well as lots of water safety and older kids on hand to help calm their nerves. Children must do the swim unaided, but support will be nearby.
Please don't push your child to do the ocean proficiency if they are hesitant, scared or upset. Let them do the pool swim for now. Then come along to the first weeks of nippers, where they can be encourgaed and supported to become fully proficient.
Queries please contact Nat Buckley.