Help and questions
What age can my child start nippers?
The youngest age group for Nippers is the u6’s. For the 2018/19 season this includes children who are born between 1 October 2012 – 30 September 2013.
A slightly younger child may take part – however they must have turned 5 years of age beforehand (eg. your child may turn 5 in November 2018, they can start Nippers after their birthday). Note that your child will “repeat” the u6 age group the following year – ie. they will be in u6 for the 2019/20 season as well.
Here is the birth date range for each age group for 2018/19 season:
- U6 - born between 1 October 2012 - 30 September 2013
U7 - 1 October 2011 - 30 September 2012
U8 - 1 October 2010 - 30 September 2011
U9 - 1 October 2009 - 30 September 2010
U10 - 1 October 2008 – 30 September 2009
U11 - 1 October 2007 – 30 September 2008
U12 - 1 October 2006 – 30 September 2007
U13 - 1 October 2005 – 30 September 2006
U14 - 1 October 2004 – 30 September 2005
No. All children must participate in their correct age group.
All nippers need to complete an annual proficiency swim and float as part of their Nippers registration. This ensures a minimum and safe standard of swimming and survival ability for water activities at Nippers. Click here to read what is required of each age group>>
All children need to complete proficiency each year - to read what is required of each age group, click here>>
When and where is the proficiency swim/float assessment offered?
Proficiency is assessed at the two main days held at the Cronulla Swim Complex, Cronulla SLSC (Sth Cronulla Beach) - September 8 and 15, 2018. The u6 and u7 proficiency, along with the u8-u14 pool swim is conducted in the indoor pool. The u9-u14 ocean swim is held on Cronulla Beach, under the supervision of Wanda water safety volunteers. While there are other chances to complete proficiency once the season starts, it is preferable nippers attend the sessions at Cronulla Swim Complex.
Bring with you:
- Swimmers, cap, goggles and towel
- Pink high vis rash vest (u9-u14 doing ocean swim only) - compulsory
- Wetsuit - (ocean swim only) - optional
For u6 and u7 - there will be other opportunities to complete the proficiency once nippers starts.
- If your child does not meet the pool swim requirements, they will not be able to take part in any water activities at Nippers. They may take part in beach activities only for now.
- If your child does not meet the ocean swim requirements (u9+ only), they cannot take part in any water activities at Nippers, aside from the wade, for now.
- There will be other opportunities to complete their proficiency in the first month of nippers.
My child is worried about the ocean proficiency swim. What should I do?
Many children feel nervous about the ocean proficiency swim. Bring your child to the registration day. The ocean proficiency swim is held at South Cronulla Beach. There are plenty of other kids doing the swim, as well as lots of water safety and older kids on hand to help calm their nerves. Children must do the swim unaided, but support will be nearby.
Please don't push your child to do the ocean proficiency if they are hesitant, scared or upset. Let them do the pool swim for now. Then come along to the first weeks of nippers, where they can be encourgaed and supported to become fully proficient.
When completing your Nippers registration your child will be a “junior activity member”.
At least one parent/carer from each family must become a member of Wanda SLSC. You can choose from:
- ‘General member’ or 'Supervisory member' $40 – suitable for most Nipper parents. It provides insurance coverage for helping on the beach.
- For those involved in water safety, SLS bronze or if you would like to be a full member of Wanda, please contact the Wanda SLSC office firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (02) 9523-4343
Why do parents have to join as a member?
It is compulsory for at least one parent/carer to join as a member of Wanda SLSC. It ensures you are covered by insurance when helping out at Nippers (eg. setting up the beach, helping run an activity etc).
Do all Age Managers need to become a Wanda SLSC member?
Yes, all age managers must join as a ‘general member’ as a minimum.
Is there a uniform for Wanda Nippers?
A range of Wanda swimwear and other items are available - view uniforms>>
The compulsory uniform items are:
- Nippers cap ($25)
- Pink high visibility rash vest (u8-u14 age groups) – 1 high vis rash vest is included in each u8+ nippers registration fee
Where and when can I buy uniforms?
All Wanda nipper uniforms are on sale at rego days, and most Sunday mornings in the clubhouse (before Nippers starts at 9am).
Help and questions
Surf Life Saving Australia – online rego helpdesk (if you have issues with portal account set up, passwords, family accounts etc.) Email: email@example.com or phone 1300 724 006
Wanda office - phone 9523 4343